During summer, the weather would always be sunny and it can be really hot and humid. The sun’s rays can be very damaging to our skin and can hasten the aging of the skin. But if you are not careful, it will lead to a much serious formation of melanoma or skin cancer. So here are a few tips to care for your skin to prevent from getting skin cancer.
Eating a healthy and balanced diet – choose an anti-inflammatory diet such as healthy saturated fats, omega-3 rich foods, leafy green vegetables, vitamin C-rich foods, and tomato-based foods.
Coffee is good for fending off skin cancer – for every cup of caffeinated java there is a 5% drop of protection to your skin that stops the formation of melanoma or skin cancer in life according to some researches.
Reduce getting exposed in the sun – from 11AM til 4PM, it is not advisable to get your skin exposed during these times because this is the time that the sun’s UV rays are at its strongest.
Seek for a shade – when you go out in a sunny weather, try to wear something that covers your arms and legs, a hat or cap, or walk under a shaded pathway. Do not forget to also protect your eyes.
Use sunscreen or sunblock – these contain an SPF of 15 or more for UVA and UVB protection.
Don’t go to tanning salons and avoid using sunlamps – the light primarily emits UVA radiation that is 2-5 times higher than the natural sunlight. As for the tanning lights, it emits UVB radiation. Both UVA and UVB radiation can cause premature skin aging, sunburn and skin cancer.
Spot check the moles and freckles in your body – see if there are any changes and if you notice a mole or discoloration that appears suddenly or starting to change; if the sore throat does not heal; and have a red and bumpy skin that burns or itch, then it is advisable to check with a health care professional or dermatologist.
Taking in supplements for your skin – it is better to start a daily regiment for your skin and for your health in general. There are supplements that you can take to help reduce inflammation and improve tolerance from the sun, some of which are:
- Vitamin C – most potent anti-inflammatory and also good for our immune system
- Vitamin D3 – optimizing the blood levels of Vitamin D can have a good effect against sunburn and skin cancer. A lot of us are Vitamin D deficient and we lack exposures from the sun.
- Coconut oil – a quarter of a cup mixed in your herbal tea per day is a good source of good saturated fats that can be easily utilized by the body as this can promote the formation of a new skin.
- Fermented Cod Liver Oil – great also for your teeth and is one of the most important supplement for protection against the sun. This is also good for your digestive system.
- Astaxanthin – this is a highly potent antioxidant that acts as an internal sunscreen and is said to be an ingredient for anti-aging.
Try to use organic sunscreen for your skin. Synthetic-based sunscreens are not good for the skin and they usually come with some side effects because most of them contain toxic chemicals that are not good for your skin. There are some that actually aid in skin cancer development.