Laser Eye Surgery is not cheap. Unfortunately it is not offered on the NHS in the UK and prices seem to vary from the bargain basement of £395 to over £6,000 for the more specialist treatments. However, there are techniques you can use to make sure you get the best deal on your laser eye surgery treatment.
It should be noted that the cheapest laser eye surgery provider may not be the best solution for you. It is advised that you shouldn’t just choose your provider by price, consider other elements such as the quality of the surgeons, the clinic facilities and the overall package offered (e.g. aftercare). These tips are to reduce the price of laser eye surgery but there is much more to choose a provider on than just price, remember the phrase, ‘you get what you pay for’.
Here we give our 5 big tips on driving down laser eye surgery cost.
1. Book a consultation at a few different local clinics. Consultations are usually free and no obligation, whilst at the consultation you should be given your prescription and then advised on what treatment is the best at what price. This will give you a starting point on the price.
2. Many clinics publish their price lists on their websites, usually showing the best prices to get patients interested, but a lot of patients may not qualify for this price, as we found with Optical Express prices. Don’t be afraid to ask the clinic why the price you have been given is not their bottom price.
3. If you’re happy to go onto a short waiting list you may be able to fulfil a cancelled treatment. Some patients will cancel their treatments at short notice, due to a variety of reasons (e.g. work commitments). You can often fill these vacant slots at short notice for a reduced price. Ask about this at your consultation.
4. If you’re given a price which is too expensive, then just say. If there is less than a £1,000 between the price you been given and the budget that you have then you still may be able to get the treatment you want. Tell the clinic your budget and let them know if they can bring the price down to this amount then you are happy to proceed with the treatment.
5. Find out how much others patients paid for their treatment. You will find laser eye surgery reviews online which will contain details on prices paid. You can start to see if the price you was quoted is correct and the potential to negotiate on the price.
By shopping around, being flexible, negotiating and some online research you can literally save thousands on the cost of your laser eye surgery.